Overview of the RSS Technology
What is RSS? RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is an acronym used to describe the de facto standard for the syndication of web content. It is a web feed. RSS is an XML based format which can be used in different forms or ways for content distribution. Its most widespread use can be noticed in distributing news headlines on the web. A website that wants to allow other websites to publish some of its content creates an RSS document and registers the document with RSS publisher. A user then can read and use RSS-distributed content on a different site. Syndicated content can include data such as news feeds, events listings, news stories, headlines, project updates, excerpts from the discussion forum, or even corporate information.
Characteristics of RSS:
RSS technology has great advantages in information aggregation and information push:
1. Many kinds of personalized aggregation of information: RSS is a widely used definition format of content packaging, so every source of information can be published by this method. At the client end, RSS reader is in accordance with the preferences of the user, selected corresponding content to aggregate in the software. In this way, any form of content can be transported.
2. Information filtering: Through the RSS reader or the web site, users can subscribe to the information of their interest; the choice of information sources and information content can be determined by the user. Through the choice of the user, which can shield the information that isn’t selected by users, such as a variety of advertising and spam, RSS provides users with “no pollution” and “personalized” information.
3. High timeliness of the information at a lower cost: The information subscribed is always updated with source site at the same time, whenever there is something to be updated, the new content will be sent to the user in real-time. RSS technology is very simple, which is almost a one-time work, making the cost of long-term information publish almost zero. That is to say, the cost is very low.
4. Simple to operate: Subscribing or canceling the RSS information is just in a reader window to operate. It neither requires connect to other sites, and nor it needs any account and password, which simplifies the user’s operation process. Users only need to open the RSS reader to read the information content directly. In this way, users can not only save time but also improve the efficiency of retrieval method and the way of subscription, realizing automatic push and aggregation from online resources to the client.
RSS gives advantages to both the users and the web publishers:
● RSS keeps posting the latest information related to the new music, weather, local news, software upgrade.
● RSS provides a subscription to individual users.
● RSS save the surfing time.
● RSS summarizes the related article.
● RSS does not use the email addresses to send updates. It makes it spam-free and maintains user privacy.
● It is easy to subscribe or unsubscribe it anytime. To unsubscribe the RSS feed, simply fill up the reason and click on unsubscribe.